Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Take Your Own Opinion Out For Examination

In a video that was posted to this blog yesterday, Tim Minchin laid out 9 rules for life at a graduation speech.  It was interesting to me because I started to listen because it made me laugh.  Then I watched it again because it made me think.  Then I wanted to share it with friends and family because it did both!

One of his rules that I found myself thinking about this morning (and there were several) was the idea that you need to take your opinions out and examine them on a regular basis.  So much of the time we spend our time with those that are like-minded and we consume media that agrees with our biases and we assume we are right.  And maybe we are.  But I love the idea of taking our opinions out and really thinking about them...really discussing them.

And please, if you decide to do this, don't just use the same tired arguments you hear on TV.  Give it some thought.  You might find you don't believe what you thought you did.  Or maybe you do!

No comments: