Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Control What YOU Can Control

Though I enjoy the positives of Social Media (being able to catch up with friends, share laughs, see great pictures and share events in my life) it is easy to get fatigued by the venom and negativity that is prevalent out the there.

Actually, when you see how mean and shallow some adults can be on Facebook, it's not hard to imagine kids being bullied.

But I don't think it has to be this way.  It seems to me that much of the frustration and venom I see on the Social Media outlets have to do with things that are simply out of the author's control.  They obsess about what others are saying about them, about the economy, and yes, the government shutdown.  All the while, I just go on my merry way and try to make each day a good one.  And guess what, most of the time, I do!

It's not that I am not concerned about the shutdown.  It's not that I am not frustrated by a group of "leaders" that can't seem to agree on what color to paint the bathroom.  I am.

But I can't control it.  So I refuse to obsess over it.  It's counterproductive.

Stephen Covey talked about focusing on your Circle of Influence.  He said if we focus only on what's in our Circle of Influence, we will be more effective...and that Circle would eventually expand.

So stop obsessing and focusing on what you can't control.  Seriously!  I can't stop thinking about you!  :)

1 comment:

SmileOn Together said...

Absolutely true! Not sure why people feel the need to be so negative all the time on FB. When you ask someone how they are doing, in person...99.99% of the time they say good. Really? Then why all the venom on FB?

What if we were actually honest when that question was asked??? Or if we were the one who asked it, if we showed that we were truly interested in the answer??

Case study: Just this very minute, a lady walked into the office. I asked her how she was and she said "Awesome"! I asked "why do you feel so awesome today?" She didn't know what to say.

People aren't used to coworkers/acquaintances/strangers truly caring. Maybe if we took the time to show others we really care, then there is a possibility there is less venom on FB. And if it didn't work??? So what..we still took the opportunity to care about someone else!