Friday, November 15, 2013

The Next Person Who Talks...Loses



In a meeting recently, I watched a person "ask questions" but then go on to tell the same person what their answer should be.  It was confusing and frustrating for everyone.  And I'm not sure we ever really got answers that were real.

The great fallacy of sales is that a person who talks a lot will be a great in sales.  Though the motor mouth will likely make sales (sometimes just so the buyer can make them go away) they will never be great.  The GREAT sales person spends more time listening to what the customer needs...then simply guiding them to that solution.

When I first got into sales that was really tough to implement.  I was nervous on each call.  I wanted to show the prospect that I was the expert so I know I filled way too much silence with the sound of my own voice.

My father gave me advice on sales that stuck with me (video here).  He said in a sales meeting, you say what you have to say (your presentation) and then you shut up.  The next person who talks loses.

It was really simple and gave me a model that reminded me when it was my turn to talk...and when it wasn't.

No comments: