Thursday, November 7, 2013

If It's To Be, It's Up To Me



"If it's to be, it's up to me."  That's one of my favorite sayings.

The fact is, "they" gets blame for a lot of things these days.  The all and powerful "they" should be doing more, learning more, giving more, and doing better.  But "they" never seem to do it.  At least not up to our standards.

Here's a situation a few years ago where "they" was the problem. 

I had just come from a meeting about an on going event in our small town.  It was the first year of these monthly events, and we thought all things were going in the right direction.  We had a good group of folks that were excited about doing good in the community.

After the meeting I went into a local small business.  This person started to tell me that the event was "okay."  She then went into great length telling me what "they" should do differently to make the event better.  "They should make the hours later," she told me.  "They should have it year-round."

I stood patiently and listened and then said this...

"I am a part of 'they.'  We are starting a NEW group called 'we."  And YOU are welcome to be a part of it."

Making change often is actually not that hard.  You just have be willing to lead.  Here is a really cool blog post from Paul Kiewiet who talks about this as well.

Don't wait for "they" to do anything good in your life.  It will never get done.  Do it yourself!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a wonderful response! I think about this quite a bit and always try to stop myself from blaming "them".