Monday, November 25, 2013

Give Yourself Permission To Be Happy



At church yesterday, the message discussed the idea that most people hate their job.  And when I say most, I really do mean most.  The study suggested that 8 out of 10 people "hate" their job.  That is amazing to me.  As the pastor discussed, if 8 out of 10 people in the United States had the flu, it would be an epidemic.  But we just continue to roll along each week as if this is the penance we have to pay to have a weekend.

And let's face it, this is not just something I heard in the church sermon.  If you pay attention to Facebook at all, you know it's true.  I have discussed here before that there is a percentage of people that post "I hate Mondays" every week.  

I found one of the solutions that was suggested equally interesting.  He suggested that in order to enjoy your work more, you should do "whatever you do" like you you are doing it the best you can for the Lord.  This struck me because it was saying that if we want to be happier at work, we need to, in essence, change our attitude. 

I think in some ways it really is about deciding that you are in charge of your happiness.  Here Seth Godin reminds us that we often defer to "authorities" when we really don't need too. 

So let's take control of our happiness today.  Give yourself permission to be happy.  And if you really "hate' your job that much, make a different choice.  Choose to leave that job.  Choose to do something different.  Or...just Choose to be more happy.

Good luck!

No comments: