Monday, February 24, 2014

Be Willing To Ask For Help



As an entrepreneur (and pretty independent person in general) I have always wanted to "do it myself."  I have historically wanted to be solely responsible for my own success or failure.  And that is good...to a point.

On the good side, you need to have some of that streak in order to get things started.  You need to be willing to "choose yourself" on a project and not wait for someone else to give you permission.  Business owners need to be willing to take some risks, understanding that they can work hard to push it through.

The challenge with this is sometimes I have been unwilling to seek help when it is right in front of me.  I have not always been willing to take advice.  I have not always been willing to consider that someone else might have a better thought, process, idea, etc. so I have not asked.  And of course that is a mistake.

The fact is, most good people want to see you do well.  They want to (within reason) help you reach your goals.  And the best part is, they can often be in a position to really help you.

You and I just need to be willing to ask.

No comments: