Thursday, April 17, 2014

Stop Saying Busy



It is easy to be busy.  As a matter of fact, I have found the "b" word the most overused in the current English language.  When you ask--literally anyone--how they are doing, the answer comes back, "I'm busy."  The ironic thing is, that answer has become the lazy response.  We say it whether we are or we are not, actually busy.  It's like it excuses us from things we don't want to do.  "Sorry, I'm really busy." 

I am guilty of it too.

In our business (and I am sure in yours) it is EASY to be busy.  We hurriedly head from meeting to meeting or from office to office and get to the end of the day and say "Wow, I was busy all day today." 

Great.  But what did you accomplish?

What I have found is that "busy" is an awful measurement for our day and our life.  It means totally different things to different people.  And it doesn't actually measure the accomplishment of anything. 

So two thoughts for the day:

1)  Stop telling people you're busy.  No one cares.  We are all "busy." 

2)  Start judging your day by asking yourself "What did I sell, create, achieve?" 

That's way more important...and probably more interesting too.

No comments: