Friday, October 18, 2013

Root FOR Your Team, Not AGAINST The Other

I was at a Varsity Girls Tournament Soccer game last night where my daughters' team was in action.  It was an intense, "win or go home" scenario that had each team on edge and the game was probably more rough than normal.

Both sets of teams brought passionate fans that were there to cheer on their girls.  It was great.

As the game wore on, the predictable behavior started to emerge.  The attitude shifted from "I want my team to do well" to "I want our team to beat that team," to "I want THAT team to lose!"  In a tournament game that attitude is predictable, if not inevitable.

But does it have to be?

Whether we are watching a girls soccer game, college football game, or we are competing in the business arena, do we really need the "other team" to lose?  I think the lesson from last night is consistent.  We just really need for "our team" to give their best effort and deliver.

And frankly, that's the thing we are more likely to control anyway.

No comments: